“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
Augustine of Hippo

viernes, 18 de noviembre de 2016

Jordan Killingsworth



Jordan Killingsworth


My name is Jordan Killingsworth. I’m a 22 year-old Muslim American from the US, and the Language and Culture Assistant for the English Department in the E.O.I., for the 2016-17 school year.

I grew up in the small town of Perry, Michigan, USA, before I moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan in order to study. I received my Bachelor’s of Science from the University of Michigan in April 2016. My majors included Biology and Spanish, with a minor in Community Action and Social Change. During my time at the university, I participated in many organizations focused on activism and human rights, as well as volunteered in order to give back to the community and support others using the privileges I hold. I am hoping to study Medicine and Public Health, utilizing the skills, knowledge and experiences I have to work with communities and end health and healthcare disparities. Eventually, I hope to work with Doctors Without Borders.

There are many reasons for why I joined this program, but all reflect growth and development. I am hoping to improve my Spanish, so that I can eliminate a language barrier between myself and my patients, thus providing better care. Learning other languages is also a way to connect with individuals, communities, cultures and histories. I also wish to improve my teaching skills, as teaching and learning (or unlearning) are part of everyday life. These skills are also important for my future work as a physician; giving knowledge and resources to individuals and communities so as to empower them to take control of their health. Furthermore, education is a powerful tool for social change; helping individuals to learn, be critical and have an open mind.

--

Me llamo Jordan Killingsworth. Tengo 22 años. Soy un estadounidense musulmán y el auxiliar de conversación para el departamento ingles en la E.O.I. por el curso de 2016-17.

Crecí en el pueblo pequeño de Perry, Michigan, EE.UU., antes de moverme a Ann Arbor, Michigan para estudiar. Recibí mi grado en las sciencias por la Universidad de Michigan en abril 2016. Mis concentraciones eran Biología y Español, con una sub-concentración en la Acción Comunitaria y Cambio Social. Durante mi tiempo en la universidad, participaba en muchas organizaciones que enfocaban en el activismo y los derechos humanos, así como era un voluntario para devolver a la comunidad y apoyar otras personas con los privilegios que tengo. Quiero estudiar medicina y salud pública para utilizar mis habilidades, conocimiento y experiencias para trabajar con comunidades y terminar las disparidades de salud y preocupación por la salud. Eventualmente, espero trabajar con Médicos Sin Fronteras.

Hay muchas razones para que me uno con este programa, pero todo reflejan el crecimiento y desarrollo. Espero mejorar mi espanol para eliminar una barrera lenguaje entre mío y mis pacientes para proporcionar mejor preocupación por la salud. También, aprender otras lenguas es una manera a conectar con individuales, comunidades, culturas y historias. Quiero mejorar mis habilidades para enseñar también, porque enseñanza y aprendizaje (o desaprendizaje) son partes de la vida diaria. Estas habilidades son importantes para mi trabajo futuro como un médico, también; dar conocimiento y recursos a individuos y comunidades para empoderarlos a controlar su salud. Ademas, la educación es un instrumento poderoso para cambio social; ayuda a los individuos a aprender, ser critical y tener una mente abierta.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario